Well, we´ve been in Buenos Aires for a week now. The pace of life is returning to something closer to normal - we have seen the things that you need to see and now we can take on a more regular routine. Melanie is taking Spanish classes in the morning and I am being obstinate in my belief that I don´t need to take them (though I probably should). I take my lessons by reading the newspaper with my coffee.
We have been having a nice time in BA - it is one of those cities that, though there are tons of tourists here, you can get lost in the sea of people and not feel so conspicuous. And, like any other big city, there is plenty of stuff to keep one occupied. The owner of the hostel we stayed in the first week was born here and says she is still surprised at what she finds here.
They are having the Tango festival at this time, with many free events. The tango is big here. I mean really big. Everywhere. I am not a big dancer but it has been enjoyable watching the tango bands and the informal dancers who start tango-ing on the street (every time I speak to someone about the Tango, I try to tell them of the ´two left feet´saying that we have in English, but it doesn´t really work). The festival itself is more like a group of events that take place over the city. We watched a tango band (consisting of two accordionists, two violinists, a pianist, and a bassist, and sometimes a singer). Melanie has me convinced that we should take some of the free lessons they are offering as part of the festival. We´ll see how that goes.
On Saturday, we went to a football game. River Plate vs. Arsenal. It was in some ways a let down. I have been wanting to go to a real football game for a while (mostly after I heard my friend Sachin´s stories about a riot at one that he went to in Europe). What could be more fun than watching a bunch of soccer hooligans beat each other up (from afar)? The normal stadium they played at was being used for the Rolling Stones and U2 concerts, so they played at a different stadium. That, and the fact that everyone is still on vacation, meant that the stands were not filled with riotous fans. There was one section that was filled to capacity (the standing room only part) with hooligans, and they did make a lot of noise. I couldn´t understand the chants, but I think they involved calling the other team part of the anatomy that are better left unsaid. So, overall, kind of a let down. I didn´t get to see anyone cause a riot. The universal axiom that food and drink costs more at a stadium applies in Argentina, as well - we paid a whole dollar for a choripan (sausage on bread) and another dollar for a drink. Can you believe it?
We went to the San Telmo antique market on Sunday. As we were walking through the city towards the market, it seemed abandoned - there was nobody on the streets. Then we got to the market and saw where they all had gone. Wall to wall people and tourists and antique hawkers selling everything imaginable. Neither of us are very heavy into antique collecting, but I know some people (yes, I am talking about you, Mom and Sarah) who would love coming here.
Well, that is all for now - I will post some more pictures when I find an internet place that will allow me to hook up my camera.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I've been in the computer industry for many years, but I remain stunned by the amazing things that the internet has made possible. Dave, you put the map at the top of your blog to let people see exactly where you are. You both get to share your experiences almost in realtime with your family and friends. Amazing!
Post a Comment